The requirements and considerations needed to enable failover configuration in FWSM are as follows:
• System license requirements are needed for failover between two units.
• Both FWSMs should have the same software image.
• Both FWSMs should have the same interfaces, which is mandatory as a part of the configuration.
• It is a good practice to have the pair of FWSMs adjacent to all the Layer 2 interfaces. This will make the Layer 2 connections symmetric to both the FWSMs.
• To avoid loops in transparent mode, the failover configuration will need to allow BPDUs through the FWSM. This can be done using an EtherType access list.
Was this article helpful?