Use the questions here to review what you learned in this chapter. The correct answers and solutions are found in the appendix, "Answers to Chapter Review Questions."
1. Which of the following statements about the functions of a hub are accurate? (Choose two.)
a. A hub extends an Ethernet LAN.
b. A hub reduces the size of a collision domain.
c. Adding a hub eliminates the need for users on a network segment to compete for the same bandwidth.
d. A hub is a data link layer device.
e. A hub amplifies the data signal before retransmitting it.
2. Which of the following statements best describe collisions? (Choose three.)
a. Collisions occur when two or more stations on a shared media transmit at the same time.
b. Larger segments are less likely to have collisions.
c. In a collision, the frames are destroyed, and each station in the segment begins a random timer that must be completed before attempting to retransmit the data.
d. Adding a hub to a network can improve collision issues.
e. Collisions are by-products of a shared LAN.
f. More segments on a network mean greater potential for collisions.
3. Which of these choices best describes a collision domain?
a. Two or more devices trying to communicate at the same time b. Two networks that are connected c. Network segments that share the same bandwidth d. None of the above
4. What type of hardware will help eliminate collisions?
a. Repeater b. Bridge c. Hub d. Extender
5. Which of the following factors are typical causes of network congestion? (Choose three.)
a. High-bandwidth applications b. Many network segments c. Increasing volume of network traffic d. More powerful computer and network technologies e. Few network segments f. Greater distances for LANs
6. Which of the following are characteristics of a bridge? (Choose three.)
a. Bridges forward but do not filter data frames between LAN segments.
b. Bridges maintain MAC address tables.
c. Bridges extend the distance of the LAN farther than hubs.
d. Bridges can buffer and forward frames between two or more LAN segments.
e. Bridges create fewer collision domains.
f. Bridges operate at Layer 3 of the OSI model.
7. Which of the following are major benefits of adding a bridge to a network? (Choose two.)
a. Isolating potential network problems to specific segments b. Increasing the speed of a network c. Extending a LAN to cover greater distances by joining multiple segments d. Creating fewer collision domains e. Forwarding data frames between LAN segments
8. Match each of the following terms related to the operation of a switch in a network to its description.
_If the switch determines that the destination MAC address of the frame resides on the same network segment as the source, it does not forward the frame.
_If the switch determines that the destination MAC address of the frame is not from the same network as the source, it transmits the frame to the appropriate segment.
_If the switch does not have an entry for the destination address, it will transmit the frame out of all ports except the port on which it received the frame.
a. Flooding b. Filtering c. Forwarding
9. Which of the following characteristics apply to a switch? (Choose three.)
a. Uses a table of MAC addresses to determine the port to which the data is to be sent b. Connects LAN segments c. Reduces the number of collision domains d. Increases the number of collision domains e. Filters data before forwarding it to its destination on the network
10. Which of the following features differentiate switches from bridges? (Choose three.)
a. Large frame buffers b. Use of a table of MAC addresses to determine the segment to which the data is to be sent c. Support for mixed media rates d. High port densities e. Ability to segment LANs
11. Which of the following statements are accurate about how the network performance of a switch compares to that of a bridge? (Choose three.)
a. Switches operate at much higher speeds than bridges.
b. Switches operate at lower speeds than bridges.
c. Switches support more advanced functionality than bridges.
d. Switches support less functionality than bridges.
e. Switches support dedicated communication between devices.
f. Switches do not support dedicated communication between devices.
12. Which of the following statements about microsegmentation are accurate? (Choose three.)
a. Implementing a bridge creates microsegmentation.
b. Microsegmentation increases bandwidth availability.
c. Each device on a network segment is connected directly to a switch port.
d. Microsegmentation eliminates collisions.
e. Microsegmentation limits the number of segments on a network.
f. Microsegmentation uses half-duplex operation.
13. Match each of the following function descriptions with either full-duplex or half-duplex communication.
_The network sends and receives data frames one at a time, but not simultaneously.
_This communication type effectively doubles the amount of bandwidth between the devices.
_The network sends and receives data frames simultaneously.
a. Full-duplex communication b. Half-duplex communication
14. Match each of the following connectivity functions to the appropriate Ethernet type.
_At the end-user level, gives high-performance PC workstations 100-Mbps access to a server
_Not typically used at the end-user level
_At the workgroup level, provides connectivity between the end user and workgroups
_At the backbone level, provides interswitch connectivity for low- to mediumvolume applications
_At the workgroup level, provides high-performance connectivity to the enterprise server
_At the backbone level, provides backbone and interswitch connectivity
_At the end-user level, provides connectivity between the end user and the userlevel switch
_Provides interswitch connectivity for low- to medium-volume applications a. Ethernet 10BASE-T
b. Fast Ethernet c. Gigabit Ethernet
15. When a Cisco device starts up, which of the following does it run to check its hardware?
16. When a Catalyst switch or Cisco router starts up, what is the first operation performed?
a. The device performs system startup routines.
b. The device performs hardware checking routines.
c. The device attempts to locate other devices on the network.
d. The device tries to find and apply software configuration settings.
17. Upon initial installation of a Cisco switch or router, the network administrator typically configures the networking devices from a_.
b. TFTP server c. console terminal d. modem connection
18. If a network administrator is supporting a remote device, the preferred method is to use a modem connection to the_of the device for remote configuration.
a. LAN port b. uplink port c. console port d. auxiliary port
19. Which access level allows a person to access all router commands and can be password protected to allow only authorized individuals to access the router?
a. User EXEC level b. Setup EXEC level c. Enable EXEC level d. Privileged EXEC level
20. How do you instruct a Cisco device to parse and execute an entered command?
a. Press the Send key.
b. Press the Enter key.
c. Add a space at the end of the command.
d. Wait 5 seconds after you enter a command.
21. Which CLI prompt indicates that you are working in privileged EXEC mode?
22. Which command would you enter in the privileged EXEC mode to list the command options?
23. Match each of the following steps of the physical Catalyst switch startup process to its description.
a. Attach the power cable plug to the switch power supply socket.
b. Observe the boot sequence, including the Cisco IOS Software output text on the console.
c. Verify that all cable connections are secure, the terminal is connected to the console port, and the console terminal application is selected.
24. How do you start a Catalyst 2950 series switch?
a. Press the On/Off switch.
b. Power up the redundant power supply.
c. Connect a network cable to another switch on the network.
d. Attach the power cable plug to the switch power supply socket.
25. If the POST completes successfully on a Catalyst switch, what display could you see on the console?
a. The > prompt b. The privileged EXEC prompt c. The Management Console logon screen d. A list of commands available on the switch
26. What CLI command should you enter to display a list of commands that begin with the letter "c" on a Catalyst switch?
27. What CLI command should you enter to display the command syntax help so that you can see how to complete a command that begins with "config"?
c. help config d. help config*
28. Which Cisco IOS command correctly configures an IP address and subnet mask on a switch?
a. ip address b. ip address 184.108.40.206
c. 220.127.116.11 ip address d. ip address 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.0
29. Which configuration mode do you use to configure a particular port on a switch?
a. User mode b. Global configuration mode c. Interface configuration mode d. Controller configuration mode
30. When you use the show interface command to display the status and statistics for the interfaces configured on a Catalyst switch, which output field indicates the MAC address that identifies the interface hardware?
c. Address is 0050.BD73.E2C1
d. 802.1d STP State: Forwarding
31. Which show command requires you to have privileged EXEC mode access?
a. show ip b. show version c. show running d. show interfaces
32. How should you power up a Cisco router?
a. Press the Reset button.
b. Turn the power switch to "On."
c. Connect the fiber cable to another router.
d. Attach the power cable plug to the router power supply socket.
33. Which of the following would be considered a physical threat? (Choose two.)
a. A user leaving a password in her desk b. Someone turning off the power to the switch to block network access c. Someone turning off the air conditioning system in the network closet d. Someone breaking into the cabinet that contains the network documentation
34. Which of the following can be protected with a password? (Choose four.)
a. Console access b. VTY access c. TTY access d. User-level access e. EXEC-level access
35. Which of the following is a customized text that is displayed before the username and password login prompts?
a. Message of the day b. Login banner c. Access warning d. User banner e. Warning message
36. Which of the following is the most secure method of remotely accessing a network device?
37. Which of the following is an IOS command that can be used to control access to a switch port based on a MAC address?
a. shutdown b. port-security c. mac-secure d. firewall
38. Which of the following is an IOS command that can be used to increase the security of unused switch ports?
a. shutdown b. port security c. mac-secure d. firewall
39. Which problem is caused by redundant connections in a network?
a. Microsegmentation b. Loops c. Degradation d. Collisions
40. Which statement best describes how loops can affect performance in a switched LAN?
a. Broadcast storms can be created when loops occur, preventing data from being transmitted over the network.
b. Any multicast, broadcast, or unknown traffic will be flooded out to all ports.
c. Incorrect information can be updated to the MAC address tables, resulting in inaccurate forwarding of frames.
d. The loop removes the frame from the network.
41. Which statement accurately describes Spanning Tree Protocol?
a. STP assigns roles to bridges and ports to ensure that only one forwarding path exists through the network at any given time.
b. STP automatically keeps the previously inactive path inactive.
c. STP eliminates the segments in which there are problems.
d. STP allows ports to listen to, forward, and flood data frames.
42. Which of the following IOS commands is the most useful when troubleshooting media issues?
a. show controller b. show run c. show interface d. show counters
43. Which of the following IOS commands is the most useful when troubleshooting port access issues?
a. show controller b. show run c. show interface d. show counters
44. Which of the following are methods used to mitigate configuration issues? (Choose three.)
a. Secure unused ports.
b. Secure the configuration.
c. Verify changes before you save.
d. Know what you have before you start.
This chapter includes the following sections:
■ Chapter Objectives
■ Exploring Wireless Networking
■ Understanding WLAN Security
■ Implementing a WLAN
■ Chapter Summary
■ Review Questions
Was this article helpful?
Read how to maintain and repair any desktop and laptop computer. This Ebook has articles with photos and videos that show detailed step by step pc repair and maintenance procedures. There are many links to online videos that explain how you can build, maintain, speed up, clean, and repair your computer yourself. Put the money that you were going to pay the PC Tech in your own pocket.