As mentioned in the introduction, you have two choices for review questions. The questions that follow give you a bigger challenge than the exam itself by using an open-ended question format. By reviewing now with this more difficult question format, you can exercise your memory better and prove your conceptual and factual knowledge of this chapter. The answers to these questions are found in Appendix A.
For more practice with exam-like question formats, including questions using a router simulator and multiple-choice questions, use the exam engine on the CD.
1. Name the seven layers of the OSI model.
2. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 7?
3. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 6?
4. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 5?
5. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 4?
6. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 3?
7. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 2?
8. What is the main purpose(s) of Layer 1?
9. Describe the process of data encapsulation as data is processed from creation until it exits a physical interface to a network. Use the OSI model as an example.
10. Name three benefits to layering networking protocol specifications.
11. What header or trailer does a router discard as a side effect of routing?
12. What OSI layer typically encapsulates using both a header and a trailer?
13. What terms are used to describe the contents of the data encapsulated by the data link, network, and transport layers, respectively?
14. Explain the meaning of the term L5PDU.
15. Explain how Layer x on one computer communicates with Layer x on another computer.
16. List the terms behind the acronym TCP/IP.
17. List the terms behind the acronym OSI.
Was this article helpful?