As mentioned in the introduction, you have two choices for review questions. The questions that follow give you a bigger challenge than the exam itself by using an open-ended question format. By reviewing now with this more difficult question format, you can exercise your memory better and prove your conceptual and factual knowledge of this chapter. The answers to these questions are found in Appendix A.
For more practice with exam-like question formats, including questions using a router simulator and multiple-choice questions, use the exam engine on the CD.
1. What are the two names for the same CLI mode in a router, that when accessed, enables you to issue exec commands that could be disruptive to router operations?
2. What are three methods of logging on to a router?
3. What is the name of the user interface mode of operation used in which you cannot issue disruptive commands?
4. Can the auxiliary port be used for anything besides remote modem user access to a router? If so, what other purpose can it serve?
5. What command would you use to receive command help if you knew that a show command option begins with a c but you cannot recall the option?
6. While you are logged in to a router, you issue the command copy ? and get a response of "Unknown command, computer name, or host." Offer an explanation for why this error message appears.
7. Is the number of retrievable commands based on the number of characters in each command, or is it simply a number of commands, regardless of their size?
8. How can you retrieve a previously used command? (Name two ways.)
9. After typing show ip route, which is the only command that you typed since logging in to the router, you now want to issue the show ip arp command. What steps would you take to execute this command by using command-recall keystrokes?
10. After typing show ip route 126.96.36.199, you now want to issue the command show ip route 188.8.131.52. What steps would you take to do so, using command-recall and command-editing keystrokes?
11. What configuration command causes the router to require a password from a user at the console? What configuration mode context must you be in? (That is, what command[s] must be typed before this command after entering configuration mode?) List the commands in the order in which they must be typed while in config mode.
12. What configuration command is used to tell the router the password that is required at the console? What configuration mode context must you be in? (That is, what command[s] must you type before this command after entering configuration mode?) List the commands in the order in which they must be typed while in config mode.
13. What are the primary purposes of Flash memory in a Cisco router?
14. What is the intended purpose of NVRAM memory in a Cisco router?
15. What does the NV stand for in NVRAM?
16. What is the intended purpose of RAM in a Cisco router?
17. What is the main purpose of ROM in a Cisco router?
18. What configuration command would be needed to cause a router to use an IOS image named c2500-j-l.112-14.bin on TFTP server 184.108.40.206 when the router is reloaded? If you forgot the first parameter of this command, what steps must you take to learn the correct parameters and add the command to the configuration? (Assume that you are not logged in to the router when you start.)
19. What command sets the password that would be required after typing the enable command? Is that password encrypted by default?
20. To have the correct syntax, what must you add to the following configuration command?
21. Name two commands that affect the text used as the command prompt.
22. When using setup mode, you are prompted at the end of the process for whether you want to use the configuration parameters that you just typed in. Which type of memory is this configuration stored in if you type yes?
23. What two methods could a router administrator use to cause a router to load IOS stored in ROM?
24. What is the process used to update the contents of Flash memory so that a new IOS in a file called c4500-d-mz.120-5.bin on TFTP server 220.127.116.11 is copied into Flash memory?
25. Name three possible problems that could prevent the command boot system tftp c2500-j-l.112-14.bin 18.104.22.168 from succeeding.
26. Two different IOS files are in a router's Flash memory: one called c2500-j-l.111-3.bin and one called c2500-j-l.112-14.bin. Which one does the router use when it boots up? How could you force the other IOS file to be used? Without looking at the router configuration, what command could be used to discover which file was used for the latest boot of the router?
27. Is the password required at the console the same one that is required when Telnet is used to access a router?
28. Which IP routing protocols could be enabled using setup?
29. Name two commands used to view the configuration to be used at the next reload of the router. Which one is a more recent addition to IOS?
30. Name two commands used to view the configuration that currently is used in a router. Which one is a more recent addition to IOS?
31. True or false: The copy startup-config running-config command always changes the currently used configuration for this router to exactly match what is in the startup configuration file. Explain.
Was this article helpful?