The Q & A questions are designed to help you assess your readiness for the topics covered on the CCIE Security written exam and those topics presented in this chapter. This format should help you assess your retention of the material. A strong understanding of the answers to these questions will help you on the CCIE Security written exam. You can also look over the questions at the beginning of the chapter again for further review. As an additional study aid, use the CD-ROM provided with this book to take simulated exams, which draw from a database of over 500 multiple-choice questions.
Answers to these questions can be found in Appendix A, "Answers to Quiz Questions."
1. What are the seven layers of the OSI model?
2. What layer of the OSI model is responsible for ensuring that IP packets are routed from one location to another?
3. What mechanism is used in Ethernet to guarantee packet delivery over the wire?
4. Name two physical characteristics of 10BASE-T?
5. What Catalyst command displays the bridging or CAM table on a Cisco 3550 series switch?
6. What are the possible states of spanning tree?
7. Fast EtherChannel (FEC) allows what to occur between Cisco Catalyst switches?
8. Does an IP packet include a known and common field that guarantees data delivery? If so, what is this field.
9. Name some examples of connection-orientated protocols used in TCP/IP networks.
10. Given the address 126.96.36.199/24, what are the subnet and broadcast addresses? How many hosts can reside on this network?
11. How many hosts can reside when the subnet mask applied to the network 188.8.131.52 is 255.255.255.128 (or 184.108.40.206/25)?
12. Name five routing protocols that support VLSM.
13. What is the destination port number used in a Telnet session?
14. What TCP/IP services are common in today's large IP networks?
15. What Cisco IOS command displays the IP ARP table on a Cisco IOS router?
16. Cisco IOS routers use what mechanism to determine the routing selection policy for remote networks if more than one routing protocol is running?
17. What is the administrative distance for OSPF, RIP, and external EIGRP?
18. Name five characteristics of distance vector routing protocols and provide two examples of routing protocols classified as distance vector.
19. IP RIP runs over what protocol and port number when sending packets to neighboring routers?
20. How many networks can be contained in an IP RIP update?
21. Specify three main differences between RIPv1 and RIPv2.
22. What is an EIGRP feasible successor?
23. What is the metric used by OSPF?
24. If OSPF is configured for one area, what area assignment should be used?
25. What LSA types are not sent in a total stubby area?
26. What Cisco IOS command disables an interface from participating in the election of an OSPF DR/BDR router?
27. On an Ethernet broadcast network, a DR suddenly reboots. When the router recovers and discovers neighboring OSPF routers, will it be the designated router once more?
28. What Layer 4 protocol does BGP use to guarantee routing updates, and what destination port number is used?
29. What are ISDN BRI and PRI?
30. What are the three phases that occur in any PPP session?
31. Define what BECN and FECN mean in a Frame Relay network?
32. Frame Relay DLCI values are used for what purpose?
33. What is the IP address range used in IP multicast networks?
34. What type of network environment typically uses an AS5300?
35. What is the best method you can easily deploy to protect CCMs from unauthorized access?
36. What is WEP? Is WEP inherently secure or insecure?
Was this article helpful?