The routing function is responsible for learning the logical topology of the network and then making decisions based on that knowledge. The decisions determine whether the incoming datagram can be routed and, if so, how.
The decisions include these:
• Is the protocol stack configured on the router?
• Is there an entry for the remote network in the routing table?
• Is there a default network configured?
• Is the network reachable?
• Which is the best path to that remote network?
• Are there equal-cost multiple paths?
• To which outgoing interface(s) should the datagram(s) be queued?
Was this article helpful?